Thursday, November 27, 2008

100 Dove Salute Sean Taylor

Photobucket

For those of you who know me, know the Washington Redskins are an integral part of my life. It dates back to 1995 when I first became a fan, while I was residing in McLean, Virginia at the time. My passion for the game of football and the Redskins never grew thin throughout the years I lived in countries such as Peru & Korea where American football is non existent. However, during those times it's quite surprising to think that I never had a 'favorite player'.

As soon as I returned to America, this time to New Jersey, in late 2003, I caught up with the 2004 NFL draft anxiously waiting to see who the Redskins would pick with the 5th overall choice. There we chose a safety by the name of Sean Taylor from Miami University or aka "The U". I jumped up from my couch and screamed in joy so boisterous that my mom downstairs told me 'you sound like a psycho'. I thought we drafted one of the most dynamic players to ever play the position.

My oath under this man's ability did not go unreturned. He became one of the center pieces of the defense, capable of covering wide recievers man-to-man, covering 3/4s of the field himself as a safety and knocking you out with those vicious hits like a linebacker can give you. Every time he played - it was like being glued to the TV the whole game like Michael Jordan made you do - because you never knew when he was going to make that exciting play. Subsequently, he was earned two Pro Bowl honors in his short four year career.

Then came November 27, 2007, Thanksgiving Day. He was shot in the leg by burglars attempting a robbery. Sean Taylor lost so much blood that he would not recover from the wound. He had been trying to protect his girlfriend and an 18th month year old whom were sleeping with him in the room. His loss still affects those who were not only close to him, but those who looked up to him as a player, father and a friend. I changed my blog to black, for today is his one year anniversary. In his remembrance, 100 dove salute to now God's starting safety. Rest In Paradise...We miss you dearly...

Photobucket
Your loss is deeply felt...

No comments: